Griffin & Howe Griffin & Howe



In most US States, firearms and ammunition may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the driver or any passenger. Once you reach your destination, state and local law will govern the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms.

New Jersey Transportation Laws

State-by-State Transportation Laws


Griffin & Howe has always been keen to assist our clients who travel abroad with their firearms. Travelers, who are not familiar with the rules and regulations, may run in to problems processing their firearms either at the airport here in the US or through customs in their destination country. Our staff tries to stay up to date with both airline and national regulations and can aid our clients in what will be needed to travel without delays or complications.


  • Check your airlines rules and regulations regarding the transportation of firearms and ammunition BEFORE booking your flight. Below you will find links to the regulations of various airlines.


·      British Airways

·      Air France

·      American Airlines

·      Emirates

·      Continental Airlines

·      Iberia Airlines

·      KLM Airlines

·      United Airlines

·      Swiss Air

·      Delta Airlines

·      Alitalia

·      South African Airlines

·      Qantas Airlines

·      Alaska Airlines

·      First Air

·      Southwest Airlines

·      U.S. Airways

·      Lufthansa


  • Firearms MUST be unloaded in a locked, hard-sided container as checked baggage, and declared to the airline at check-in. The container must be completely secured from being accessed.


  • All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are prohibited in carry-on baggage.


  • Register your firearm(s) on Form 4457, found here, with US Customs PRIOR to your departure so that upon your return to the US you can present the form to Customs and avoid any duty or taxes.   To register your firearm(s) you will need to bring Form 4457 and your firearm(s) to your closest Customs office which can be found at every International Airport. Customs will inspect your firearm(s) and stamp the form. This form never expires and can be used each time you are traveling with your firearm(s).


As for travel to a specific country, the laws and regulations regarding what is required for you to be able to bring your firearms to that country vary tremendously. We highly recommend that you speak to the outfitter or agent that you are booking your trip thru to find out what licenses and permits you will need to bring your firearms into that country.



G&H in the Two River Times

Click here to read the latest feature on G&H at Hudson Farm! read more